Local Area

Clegyr Boia

Clegyr Boia is a rocky outcrop rising from the coastal plateau to the west of St Davids. Excavations in the first half of the twentieth century confirmed occupation in the Neolithic and Iron Age periods. Dated Neolithic settlements in Wales are extremely rare, but the discovery of crude huts and Neolithic round-bottomed pottery confirms occupation of this rock 5-6,000 years ago. The name Clegyr Boia also associates this outcrop with the stronghold of a sixth-century AD Irish pirate named Boia, and the potential for post-Roman occupation here adds to the rarity and importance of this enduring settlement (RCAHMW, 91-cs-0258). Extract from: Driver, T. 2007. Pembrokeshire, Historic Landscapes from the Air, RCAHMW, page 98, Figure 148. See also Figure 63. T. Driver, 28 June 2007

St Davids

St Davids is a tiny cathedral city (really no bigger than a village) built on the site of the monastery founded by St David (Dewi Sant) in the 6th Century. The City status of St.Davids was granted to all of St.Davids by HM the Queen by Royal Charter on 1st June 1995.

The present Cathedral was begun in 1181, the cathedral contains several treasures including some saintly bones which are said to be those of Saint Caradog. The highlight of the interior is the oak roof featuring beautifully intricate wood carvings by 15th-century craftsmen. Countless monarchs from William the Conqueror to Queen Elizabeth II have worshipped here. The Queen even has a seat reserved for her. Adjacent to the cathedral stand the magnificent ruins of the medieval Bishops Palace. Dating from the 14th century but derelict from the 18th, this splendid medieval ruin still conveys the affluence and power of the medieval church. Unlike the frugal founding saint, the bishops of St Davids in the middle ages enjoyed all the trapping of wealth and influence. The Palace was largely the work of Bishop Henry de Gower (1328-47) who built the great hall.


Other places within easy reach are the RNLI lifeboat station at St Justinians, where boat trips can be taken to and around the RSPB sanctuary of Ramsay Island (booked in St Davids), the beach at White Sands and the Pembrokeshire Coast Path.

Solva Woollen Mill

The oldest working Woollen Mill in Pembrokeshire, Solva is now the only mill in Wales specialising in flat weave carpets, rugs and runners. This family business with over 100 years weaving expertise uses traditional skills and 19th century looms to create beautiful flooring to suit any interior. Recent commissions include rugs for Llwynywormwood, Prince Charles’ Welsh residence, historic reproduction flooring for stately homes in USA and we are pleased to have been a supplier of rugs to The Landmark Trust properties for many years. Visitors are welcome to watch the looms at work and browse in the mill shop. Click here to visit our website.